Capsicums make the ultimate tasty carb swap-out to stuff with all your favourite fillings. This beef stuffed capsicum recipe is easy to prep and is perfect for a healthy weeknight meal. Low in calories and fat, and high in protein. It’s a must try.
NUTRITIONAL INFO PER SERVE ( 2 serves)
290g Cal | 11.5g Fats | 15.9g Carbs | 32g Protein
• 2 med-large red or yellow capsicums
• 225g lean beef mince
• 1 small white onion, diced fine
• Oregano, Seasoned Pepper and Fennel Seed [optional] to taste
• 1 tomato
• 2 teaspoons of crushed garlic or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
• 60g of fresh Feta cheese, crumbled
• 2 tbsp grated parmesan
• 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
STEP BY STEP
1) Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Lightly spray a casserole dish with olive oil.
2) Cook the mince at low to medium heat, stirring often. Once meat is cooked through, drain thoroughly and add onions, garlic, oregano, seasoned pepper, fennel seed and tomatoes. Simmer over low heat for approximately 20 minutes.
3) Cut the tops of the capsicums, remove seeds and membranes and wash thoroughly. Fill the capsicums with the meat mixture, alternating with a layer of the feta and parmesan cheeses. Place peppers into the oiled casserole dish, side by side. (Alternatively, you can cut peppers in half vertically and stuff each half, making serving easier and cooking time shorter.
4) Sprinkle all remaining feta and parmesan cheese the on top. Add shredded mozzarella cheese if desired for a hint of extra flavour. Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until browned and bubbly.