You can’t go wrong with apple crumble and this low-calorie version is easy peasey and just as delicious. Its crunchy oat topping and warmly spiced apples make for a warming and comforting treat when it’s cold outside.
NUTRITIONAL INFO PER SERVE (8 serves)
165 Cal | 2.4g Fats | 36.6g Carbs | 1.7g Protein
• 9 apples (pink lady or gala)
• 2 teaspoons lemon juice
• 1.5 tablespoons sugar or honey
• 1 teaspoon mixed spice or pumpkin pie spice (see recipe below)
• 1 cup oats, old fashioned
• 3 tablespoons flour all-purpose
• 2 tablespoons sugar or coconut sugar
• 3 tablespoons butter or coconut oil as a vegan option
Pumpkin Pie Spice Recipe:
• 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
• 2 teaspoons ground ginger
• 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
• 1 teaspoon ground allspice
• 1 teaspoon ground cloves
STEP BY STEP
1) Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2) Peel and thinly slice the apples, dropping into a large bowl as you work. Add the lemon juice and toss to stop the apples from browning.
3) Add in the sugar (or honey), mixed spice (or pumpkin pie spice). Mix well until the apple is evenly coated then transfer to a pie pan or 9×9 baking dish.
4) To the same large bowl (no need to wipe out) add the oats, flour, sugar (or honey) and butter (or coconut oil). Mix well with your fingers until the butter can no longer be seen and clumps can be formed, like wet sand.
5) Add the crumble topping to the top of the apples ensuring even distribution.
6) Bake for 60 minutes, until the topping is golden brown and the apples are bubbling.
7) Remove from the oven and let rest for 30 minutes before serving. Can be eaten as is or served with low fat cream or your favourite low calorie ice cream.