This slow-cooked chicken and chickpea soup simply hits the spot and is the perfect dinner idea for cold, winter nights.
Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
NUTRITIONAL INFO PER SERVE ( 6 serves)
447 Cal | 15.3g Fats | 43g Carbs | 33.6g Protein
• 1 ½ cups dried chickpeas, soaked overnight
• 4 cups water
• 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
• 1 425g can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
• 2 tablespoons tomato paste
• 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 1 bay leaf
• 4 teaspoons ground cumin
• 4 teaspoons paprika
• ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
• ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
• 900g bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed, trimmed
• 1 can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
• ¼ cup halved pitted olives
• ½ teaspoon salt
• ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley or coriander
STEP BY STEP
1) Drain 1 1/2 cups chickpeas and place in a 6 litre or larger slow cooker. Add 4 cups water, onion, tomatoes and their juice, 2 tablespoons tomato paste, garlic, bay leaf, 4 teaspoons cumin, 4 teaspoon paprika, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne and 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper; stir to combine. Add the chicken and arrange until even. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours or High for 4 hours.
2) Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board and let cool slightly. Discard bay leaf. Add artichokes, 1/4 cup olives and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
3) Shred the chicken, discarding bones. Stir the chicken into the soup.
4) Serve topped with 1/4 cup parsley or coriander.
To make ahead:
Note: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.