This hearty Chicken Stroganoff recipe is packed full of protein and nutritious mushrooms drenched in a mouthwatering, creamy and flavorful sauce. Chicken Stroganoff is especially popular during the colder months because it’s so warm and satisfying, but you can truly enjoy it all year round. Serve it over fluffy rice or cauliflower rice.
NUTRITIONAL INFO PER SERVE (4 serves)
480 Cal | 10.1g Fats | 54g Carbs | 39.8g Protein
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 2 long shallots, thinly sliced
• 200g chestnut mushrooms, thickly sliced
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 450g skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
• 1½ tbsp cornflour
• 150mls chicken stock
• 1½ tsp Dijon mustard
• 80g baby spinach
• 150g natural yoghurt
• 1 lemon, juiced to make 1 tsp
• 600g cooked brown rice
• 320g steamed green beans
• ½ a small bunch flat-leaf parsley, chopped
STEP BY STEP
1) Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Cook the shallots for 10 minutes until softened, reducing the heat and adding a splash of water if they start to catch.
2) Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes until softened and starting to turn golden. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute, season well and then scrape everything into a bowl.
3) Put the chicken in a large bowl and season. Sprinkle over the cornflour and toss to coat. Wipe the frying pan clean and add the remaining oil. Fry the chicken for 3-4 minutes or until golden.
4) Add the stock and mustard, along with the mushroom mixture. Simmer for 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through, and then stir in the spinach, cooking until just wilted. Add the yoghurt and bring to a gentle bubble – don’t simmer for too long or it may split. Stir in the lemon juice and season to taste. Serve with brown rice, green beans, the parsley and a final sprinkle of black pepper.
Enjoy your Stroganoff over fluffy rice or over cauliflower rice as a lower calorie alternative.
For more fantastic health-conscious meal ideas and articles please visit Beyond Best Personal Training’s BLOG.