These rich and fudgy Avocado Brownies are every bit as good as “regular” brownies. And by using avocado instead of oil or butter they are much healthier and higher in fiber and nutrients.
NUTRITIONAL INFO PER SERVE ( 16 serves)
130 Cal | 8g Fats | 13g Carbs | 3g Protein
• 1 large avocado peeled and pitted
• 2 large eggs at room temperature
• 1/3 cup coconut sugar or light brown sugar
• 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
• 3 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature (to make the brownies dairy free, use coconut oil)
• 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
• 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
• 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
• 1 teaspoon coffee powder optional; will add a more intense chocolate flavor but will *not* make the brownies taste like coffee
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1/2 cup dark or semisweet chocolate chips
STEP BY STEP
1) Place a rack in the center of your oven and preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Line an 8×8-inch pan with baking paper so that two sides overhang like handles. Lightly coat with nonstick spray.
2) In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade, place the avocado, eggs, coconut sugar, maple syrup, butter, and vanilla. Process until it’s completely smooth and no chunks of avocado remain.
3) To the food processor, add the cocoa powder, almond flour, coffee, baking soda, and salt. Process until smooth. Add 1/4 cup chocolate chips and pulse a few times so that the chips are roughly incorporated.
4) Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle over the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the top is set and a toothpick inserted in the center of the brownies comes out mostly clean with just a few moist crumbs clinging to it. Place the pan on a wire cooling rack and let the brownies cool for 30 minutes. With the parchment paper handles, lift the brownies from the pan and place them on the rack to cool completely. If time allows, refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. (I find that these taste their best and fudgiest the next day.) Slice and serve.