Zucchini lasagne is a fresh take on a classic comfort food dish. It’s loaded with veggies, but still has the rich flavors and scrumptious texture of a traditional lasagna. Top it off with some grated mozzarella, and you’ll have the perfect weeknight meal for the whole family.
NUTRITIONAL INFO PER SERVE (6 serves)
244 Cal | 7.9g Fats | 12.3g Carbs | 30.4g Protein
• 450g extra lean beef mince
• 2 medium zucchini
• 120g onion, roughly chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1 serrano chili, finely chopped
• 1 400g canned, crushed tomatoes
• 120g. mushrooms, sliced
• ½ cube Knorr chicken bouillon
• ½ cup shredded low-fat mozzarella
• 1 teaspoon paprika
• 1 teaspoon dried thyme
• 1 teaspoon dried basil
• Salt & pepper
• Olive Oil Cooking spray
STEP BY STEP
1) Use a julienne peeler to cut the zucchini into 1cm thick slices. Sprinkle lightly with salt and set aside for 10 minutes.
2) Blot the zucchini slices with a paper towel then grill in the oven for 3 minutes at high heat.
3) After grilling, place the zucchini on paper towels (you want to get as much of the liquid out as possible).
4) Add a little cooking spray to a deep skillet and fry the garlic, onion, and chili for 1 min.
5) Add the tomatoes and mushrooms to the skillet and sauté the vegetables for an additional 4 minutes. Then take them off the heat and set aside.
6) Cook the beef with the paprika in the same skillet you used for the veggies until fully browned.
7) Add the vegetables back into the skillet, then add the chicken bouillon and remaining spices. Allow the sauce to simmer for 25 minutes over low heat.
8) Heat the oven to 190 C.
9) Line a small baking tray with parchment paper and use 1/3 of the zucchini to make a layer in the bottom. Put 1/3 of the meat sauce on top. Add another layer of zucchini and continue like this until you’re out of sauce and zucchini.
10) Spread shredded mozzarella on top and bake for 35 minutes.
11) Take the lasagna out of the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.