A classic Roast Chicken but with a lemon and garlic twist.
A healthy, all-in-one roast lunch, that supplies two portions of veg and a vitamin C boost.
NUTRITIONAL INFO PER SERVE (2 SERVES)
369 cal | 12g Fats | 32g Carbs | 34g Protein
• 1 small free-range chicken, approx 1kg
• 2 garlic cloves
• 1 tsp rapeseed oil
• 1 lemon, halved
• 1 small head broccoli (about 200g), cut into small florets
• 200g sweet potato, peeled and cubed
• 1 tbsp low-fat cream cheese
• small bunch thyme
STEP BY STEP
1) Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and put the chicken in a large non-stick roasting tin. Halve 1 garlic clove and rub it over the chicken. Drizzle with oil, rub in with your fingers, then stuff the cavity with the thyme, 1 lemon half and the garlic you just used.
2) Cut the remaining lemon half into quarters and scatter around the chicken with the other half garlic clove, halved.
3) Cover the tin with foil and bake for 40 mins, then remove the foil and spoon over the hot juices. Arrange the broccoli around the chicken, turning well in the juices, and return the tin to the oven for another 20-30 mins. To check that it is cooked through, pierce between the leg and thigh – if the juices run clear, the chicken is ready. Re-cover with foil and set aside while you prepare the sweet potatoes.
4) Put the sweet potatoes in a pot of boiling water, return to the boil, then simmer for 7-10 mins or until tender. Drain well, mash, then add the cream cheese and stir well.
5) Remove the broccoli from the roasting tin and divide between 2 plates. Put the chicken on a serving plate, discard the lemon and garlic from the tin and remove as much of the fat from the juices as possible. Pour the remaining juices into a serving jug.
6) Carve the chicken and serve about 100g (1-2 slices) per person. Serve with the broccoli and mashed sweet potatoes, and a drizzle of the lemony-garlic juices on top.