You either love or hate Zucchini right? If you’re not a fan then we’re here to help change your mind. Zucchini is low in calories, is packed with nutrients, and makes for a great vessel to fill with your favourite healthy fillings. These Taco Style Stuffed Zucchinis are a perfect healthy and low-carb alternative to regular tacos.
NUTRITIONAL INFO PER SERVE (4 serves)
367 Cal | 24.8g Fats | 14.3g Carbs | 24.8g Protein
• 2 large zucchini
• 1 tablespoon avocado oil
• 340g lean ground beef
• 1 medium tomato, chopped
• 1 bunch of spring onion, sliced
• 1 tablespoon chili powder
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin
• ¾ teaspoon salt, divided
• ½ teaspoon garlic powder
• ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
• 8 tablespoons shredded Havarti Cheese
• 1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
• 1 avocado, cubed
• 4 tablespoons Pico de gallo, preferably fresh, or Black Swan
STEP BY STEP
1) Cut each zucchini in half lengthwise. Cut a thin slice off the bottoms so that each half sits flat. Scoop out the pulp, leaving a little over 1/2 cm of shell. Chop the zucchini pulp.
2) Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add beef, tomato, spring onion, chili powder, cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt and garlic powder. Cook, breaking the beef into small piece until all cooked, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the chopped pulp.
3) Place the prepared zucchini halves in a microwave-safe dish; sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Cover and microwave on High until tender-crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Uncover.
4) Position rack in the upper third of the oven. Preheat to 180.C. Place the zucchini halves on a baking sheet. Divide the beef filling among the zucchini halves and sprinkle each half with 2 tablespoons cheese. Bake until the cheese is melted and beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Serve with lettuce, avocado and pico de gallo.